Friday, February 15, 2013

That's A Corker

Hello everyone and happy Friday! This week I have been looking for some inspiration. It's not too hard to find with magazines, the oh so cool blogs out there and ...Pinterest. (Insert sigh...) I love Pinterest! Who wouldn't love a world of ideas right at your fingertips? People with no ideas, that's who. (Trick question).

Although I love browsing through countless pictures until my eyes start to cross, I have realized something about myself. Besides the fact that I think I need a twelve step program to help me with my addiction to Pinterest, I realized that I am a touchy person. I love seeing the real thing in front of me. I love to be able to touch things, whether it is fabric swatches, paint chips, found objects, etc... It made me remember that long before Pinterest, there were "inspiration boards". (Aka...cork boards)

Now there is nothing wrong with cork boards except that they're, well, not so pretty.  Who gets inspired over not so pretty things? That's right, no one. So today I decided to fix that and it was so easy.

I started by spray painting the frame around a cork board. Then I remembered that I had this frame that I had stashed for literally years just waiting for an opportunity like this. Wouldn't you know it, if you push hard enough, you can actually make things fit. So I fit the cork board into the frame....Back outside to paint the frame.


Before the paint...



And after the paint...



Once the frame dried, I covered the cork part using burlap that I cut to size leaving just enough fabric around the edges to tuck under the frame. I lightly used spray adhesive to secure the fabric to the board.




 Then I used a putty knife to push the fabric under the frame around all four sides.





 How easy was that? I love the way it turned out and even better, I could physically touch what inspires me. I can't wait to fill my board.




 While I was at it, I made a couple of inspiration boards for the shop.




 The big one is also covered in burlap with a rope trim around the edges and the smaller one is covered in a fabric that I think is classy but fun. There are so many options to match any decor, so have fun with it.


Now I need to get pinning!

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment