Thursday, March 26, 2015

Curtain Call

Hello Everyone and Happy Spring! Is it safe to say that yet? Seems like Mother Nature is a bit indecisive this year. The good thing about the weather switching up and back is that it takes the guess work out of whether or not to work inside or outside. This time of year, I love to clean out and spruce up things.

We decided to change our office into a guest room. It was a lot of fun transforming that space using things we already had. It still needs some tweaking but I'll have more on that later.

I decided to use the curtains in our master bedroom in our new guest room so that gave me a good excuse to get some new curtains for our room. I've been wanting to make our bedroom a little more serene therefore getting rid of the patterned curtains.

I recently bought some curtains for our living room so I didn't want to spend a lot of money for the bedroom curtains. While browsing through our local Home Depot paint department, I ran across some drop cloths...wait for it... ON CLEARANCE! I mean where else would you look for curtains? Okay, so you're probably not picturing curtains right now but trust me on this.



We have a double window in our bedroom and nine foot ceilings. The drop cloths come in different sizes but the size I chose was 9x12. The drop cloths are made of canvas and are a beautiful linen color. It looks darker in the photo above. The best part of it besides it's beauty is that they are super thick. No need for lining them and they provide privacy too! Win, win!

Here's an even bigger bonus...I knew I would have to do some cutting and sewing and was a little nervous about it. The sewing didn't bug me so much but I was really worried that I wouldn't cut it straight. Well to my surprise, the drop cloth was two 6 foot pieces sewn together which worked out great since I wanted beefier panels. Since I have a double window, I wanted one panel to completely cover each window when closed.I used a craft knife to cut the seam making two perfect panels.




I sewed a hem on both sides of the cut fabric to make a clean edge.



As for the length of the curtains, I just folded the fabric back and clipped them to the curtain rings.


Tada!!! Curtains complete! I love the way they look!



 Curtains this thick cost a bundle and these cost under $30 for the whole double window. Technically that would be enough curtain for two windows. Beautiful, functional and thrifty! 

Okay, here's an update to this post. I loved the way the curtains turned out so much that I also made some for the guest room!

 Have any of you made window treatments out of something other than curtains? Leave a comment below sharing your ideas. We would love to be inspired!

Thanks for stopping by,
Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment